Boldon History - Pastimes Header
Login

 East Boldon Boy Scouts troop was founded on the 10th July 1941 with four members present, the first meeting being held in a members house.



Numbers soon built up and after several meetings in the open air the troop moved into the Parish Hall. The troop is registered as the 4th East Boldon (80th Sunderland) as there have been three other troops in the village.

One of these was a Sea Scout Troop and until about 1946 the troop wore a navy blue uniform with a "Scout Green Scarf ".

In practice the "Scout Green" became so many different shades of green that it was decided to switch to the present which. at that time, also the official colour for the Durham County Scarf.
The first two camps were held at Barnard Castle with the West Boldon Troop.
The Cubs were formed in 1941 shortly after the Scouts.

Old Fire Station
East Boldon Fire Station
In March 1943 the troop moved into the Old Fire Station in Victoria Terrace and remained there until September 1947 when they moved into there own H.Q. at Old Belle View Farm, ( the official address of the present H.Q.). the hut was formally the camp cinema of a French Army Unit and although the murals were most interesting they had to be covered up as they would not be everybodies idea of the ideal decoration for a Scout Hut. Ther were also two wood huts used for storing tents and equipment but were burnt down in 1957 and were replaced by the present asbestos hut in 1961.
East Boldon Scouts 1950 -1952
Do you know any of these friendly faces. Taken between 1950 and 1952, these East Boldon Scouts look incredably happy.
Remembrance Sunday 1960
Remembrance Sunday in 1960





SILVER PLAQUE
COMMEMORATING THE RETIREMENT OF
R.C.PEAKE Esq. M.E.

Plaque inscription reads -
PRESENTED TO
R.C.PEAKE Esq. M.E.
BY THE WORKMEN
AND FRIENDS OF
BOLDON COLLIERY

As a Mark of their Respect
30th Dec 1882


powered by onlinewebstore
© onlinewebstore